Re: IMAP and procmail

Pete Ware <ware@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> Forgive a stupid question but how does an IMAP server and procmail
> interact?

It's server dependent. UWash wouldn't have any problems, Cyrus would
be difficult.

OTOH, it's possible to write a program that delivers articles to a
mailbox using IMAP if the server supports anonymous logins and ACLs
(such as Cyrus).

> Perhaps more directly, can I use imap to read directly from
> a spool file that procmail delivers to?  (The mail server is a Sun, I
> don't know the imap server other than it says "IMAP4rev1 v11.241",
> procmail is v3.11pre7).

I can't really tell, you'll have to find out more about your
server.

IMAP only specifies the protocol between client and servers, how the
server works internally can be (and is) radically different.

/s