Re: deleting and expunging messages?

Barney Maccabe <maccabe@cs.unm.edu> writes:

> First, do I really have to type "B DEL yes" to mark a message for
> deletion?

Gnus doesn't know the concept of "marking a message for deletion". To
delete a article; yes, this is what you have to type (I believe?). You
can delete many articles at once by process marking them, of course.

On the other hand, you normally leave deletion of articles to the
expiring process.

> Second, I cannot seem to convince nnimap to actually delete the
> messages that have been marked for deletion.

I assume you mean "marked for expiration"?  If not, the article is
deleted immediate, is this not the case for you?

> I have tried several variations on nnimap-expunge-on-close, but
> haven't managed to get the messages discarded.  I presume that I'm
> missing something.

Have you enabled auto-expiry/total-expiry on the Gnus folder?

There is a bug in nnimap that sends out incorrectly formatted dates
when searching for articles to expire -- it sends out "03-Aug-98" when
the spec says it should be "3-Aug-98", some servers are sensitive
about this. If this is the case, no articles will be expired. Let me
know if this actually is the case and I'll fix this for 0.33.

(Have a look in the *imap-log* buffer and search for "NOT SINCE" and
see if you find something.)

/s