deleting and expunging messages?

First, thanks for nnimap -- when I had to move to imap a while back, I
figured that I had to had to abandon emacs mail (and bbdb, and
all manner of things good) -- it's good to be back!

For the record, I'm using nnimap version 0.3.31, gnus version 5.5, and
xemacs 20.4.

First, do I really have to type "B DEL yes" to mark a message for
deletion?

Second, I cannot seem to convince nnimap to actually delete the
messages that have been marked for deletion.  I have tried several
variations on nnimap-expunge-on-close, but haven't managed to get the
messages discarded.  I presume that I'm missing something.

--
Arthur B. (Barney) Maccabe              http://www.cs.unm.edu/~maccabe
Department of Computer Science               email: maccabe@cs.unm.edu