question

Hi --

I have downloaded and installed  nnimap and am successfully using it under
gnus 5.6.42 (and under xemacs-20.4 if it matters).

My question is as follows: Say I am in the summary buffer for

nnimap+mail-imap:INBOX

and I have read some mail messages -- which are marked then R -- and
have "expired" some mail messages -- which are marked then E.

Now, I want to know if I have new mail. So I do M-g.  The summary
buffer is then updated to show my new mail. But all my "R"s and "E"s
are gone.  Discouraging...

I realize that somehow these messages would have to be marked on the
server; maybe this isn't possible? I know basically zip about imap,
clearly...

Any help appreciated!

--George