Re: messages not getting flagged Seen in IMAP store

Osma Ahvenlampi <oa@spray.fi> writes:

> However, the marking scheme is confusing.

Yes, this has been the big problem with nnimap. With a new backend
function in Gnus for setting flags, this should hopefully be solved
with the next release of pgnus/nnimap.

(The problem has been that Gnus traditionally only stores flags in
.newsrc and won't let the backend know about them. This doesn't go
well together with IMAPs server-centered world.)

> Until 5 minutes ago, I thought nnimap was not flagging messages
> \Seen in the IMAP store at all, and the marks only were set in
> .newsrc.eld (thus Gnus thought the message had been read (as it
> was), but other IMAP clients would show it as new).

Earlier nnimap's have =tried= to propagate the correct flags to the
server, but it didn't always do the right thing.

> If it helps anything, my normal way of using Gnus on mail folders goes
> something like this: in total-expire groups, I read messages with
> space, and sometimes kill entire threads with k. Every once in a
> while, I skip individual articles with d, but if that changes to mean
> the article is immediately marked for deletion (for nnmail it doesn't
> seem to mean anything special at all), it's an easy habit to get rid
> of (or if not, doesn't matter much anyway - I rarely go back to read
> those messages)

I'm doing the same thing, and nnimap 0.32 seem to handle this
correctly. I never had any problems with expiring in earlier nnimap's,
but I know of situations where it didn't work.

Anyway, 0.32 should be a big step towards the right solution imho.

/s