read articles keep coming back

After reading my IMAP group (I'm still just playing with an IMAP
server so I'm only sending this list to it via procmail and then
splitting the INBOX into INBOX.gnus-imap) I exit the group.  In the
*Group* buffer, I do a 'g' to get new news.  The IMAP group then shows
all the messages I'd just read as unread.  Unless I explicitly delete
the articles with B-DEL, or make them dormant.  Also, I tried turning
on total-expire and set nnmail-expiry-wait to immediate for the IMAP
group but that didn't do anything.

nnimap-version's value is "nnimap 0.3.30", gnus-version's value is
"Gnus v5.6.42".  I have applied the patch to gnus-sum.el.

I've saved the *nnimap-debug*, *imap-debug* and *imap-log* buffers
into files and tar'd them up.  They can be had at

<URL:http://world.std.com/~dsg/dsg-nnimap-logs-3Sep1998.tgz>

Thanks for any hints.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730