Re: experiences with caching

On 14 Aug 1998 16:38:15 +0200 Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> wrote:

> If you have a very slow IMAP server (my server is behind a 256kbps
> connection, so it's pretty slow already) or a faster file system (AFS
> doesn't really mix well with nnml, which the gnus-cache uses) you
> might gain more by this than I did.

Umm ... in the context of IMAP, 256 kb/s is *blindingly* fast. A "slow" link
is anything under 20 kb/s or so. Caching (and disconnected operation) don't
buy you much unless a) your link is slow and b) you are selective about downloading
large attachments. On a DS0 or better you just aren't going to see the
effects of caching (in normal operation).

As Mark Crispin has said many times: "IMAP client developers should do all
their testing over 2400 baud connections."  Believe him :-)

--lyndon

  Sendmail is, shall we say, unique. Some people say that a monkey
  would bang out the complete works of Shakespeare on a typewriter given
  an unlimited amount of time. In the meantime, what they would probably
  produce is a valid sendmail configuration file.
                                        -- Nicholas Petreley