[bugs@gnus.org (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen)] Re: quick fix

FYI.

I see one solution; let nnimap prepend some character to all mailboxes
that starts with '.'?  This would be very confusing, of course.

The proper one would be to fix Gnus, which seem to be the case with
many problems in nnimap. I'll put that on the todo list.

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> Jim Radford submitted this a while ago but it didn't stick.  If it's
> considered unethical to fake a changelog entry, blame it on me
> instead.

[...]

> > > Groups that start with a dot give a syntax error when read by `read'.
> > > While these might be illegal newsgroups they seem reasonable as
> > > mail groups (specifically in my nnimap.el development).
> >
> > Thanks for the patch; I've applied it to Gnus v5.6.6.

It turned out that Gnus relied heavily on "."'s not being valid in
Group names.  So I reversed the patch.

--
If you want an explanation on what you have just read, please
refer to <URL:http://www.gnus.org/zombie.html>.