nnimap asks for username

Platform: XEmacs 20.4, linus, Gnus v5.8.8 (CVS checkout from July 26 2000)

I changed the entry for my private imap server from
	(nnimap "doohan.bang.priv.no")
	(nnimap "doohan"
		(nnimap-address "doohan.bang.priv.no")
		(nnimap-server-port 8143))

This was to be able to access it on a different port than 143 and to
get a shorter folder name.

The problem is that it now asks me for the user on
doohan.bang.priv.no, every time I do a get, even though I have both
doohan and doohan.bang.priv.no in the ~/.authinfo file:

machine doohan.bang.priv.no login sb
machine doohan login sb

I get the error message even without the doohan line.  I have not
tried removing the doohan.bang.priv.no line.  When is the ~/.authinfo
file read?  Once per session, or every time opening a connection?