Re: New nnimap user having problems

Bryan Ischo <bischo@plumbdesign.com> writes:

> > > I will also give Courier IMAP a try and see if it helps.  I will
> > > report my success/failure to this group.
> >
> > Please try it, I just read some source code for it and to my reading
> > it should work.  This might have been changed in recent Courier
> > versions, I dunno.
>
> I installed it.  nnimap works!  So I guess it's a problem with
> nnimap and large UIDs.  I will switch to Courier IMAP in the meantime ...

Nice.  Um, what server did you use before?  I think I'm sort of
confused, I thought the problems with large UIDs was with Courier.

> Also, you might want to make a note of this issue in the documentation,
> as I am sure many people will run into this problem.

Yes.

> What do you think the ultimate solution will be?

I dunno.  Unfortunely, I don't see myself working on any solution
other than making Emacs support larger integers, since, I think
cludging imap/nnimap to workaround it is just too ugly, and I'm not up
to the major changes to Gnus it would take, and doesn't see any other
alternatives.

And making Emacs support larger integers is probably not very easy.

> nnimap can't be said to "properly" implement the IMAP spec if it
> can't handle UIDs greater than 2^28 (no fault to nnimap, of course,
> it's an emacs limitation).

Agreed.