Re: Hanging Emacs

davidk@lysator.liu.se (David Kågedal) writes:

> I read mail using nnimap over an SSH tunnel.  My problem is that when
> the tunnel gets killed for some reason, my Gnus Emacs will hang, and
> the only way out is to kill it and star a new Emacs.

C-g doesn't work?  Then it's also a bug in Emacs, I've seen this with
XEmacs sometimes. (but you seem to be using Emacs)

> I don't know why this happens, but previous experience with network
> programming in Emacs makes me guess that the process filter gets stuck
> in a loop or something.

Yup.  I also use a ssh tunnel for some of my mail (actually it's ssl
over ssh over a unstable telnet-proxy), but I'm not able to reproduce
this by just "kill -9 <sshpid>", Gnus try to re-open the server and
fail.  Can you reproduce why your ssh tunnel kills?  Does your emacs
hang if you "kill -9 <sshpid>"?