Gnus agent doesn't work for me (WAS RE: using the Gnus Agent together with nnimap)

Am I the only one who can't get this to work?

Here's what I try.  From the Group buffer,
I "J s" to download my mail, it takes some time doing this.
Then I hit "J j" to toggle to unplugged.
Then I visit a group, to find that all the unread mail has a '@' flag next
to it.  I try to view these messages, but it only flags them with a "%"
indicating ready to download.

If I restart gnus while I am not connected to the net, I see my group list
with "*" where the number of unread messages should be.  And if I try to
visit any of those groups, it says, "Couldn't open server"  Even though I am
definately in unplugged mode.

I thought the agent stuff just didn't work with nnimap, but apparently
others are having no problems.  I'd love to get to the root of this problem.
Because of the problems reading mail offline I've taken to using Outlook on
my laptop.  It's horrible.  Rescue me please!

my .gnus is attached.  Thanks.

-Dave

http://www.tbit.dk
--
Hit the philistines three times over the head with the Elisp reference
manual.

.gnus