Re: nnimap and receipts for mails

Matthias Johnson <penguin@research.att.com> writes:

> For what it's worth (and it may not by $0.02 :)
>
> There are 2 kinds of receipts: delivery and read.  The delivery receipt
> is sent after the mail is dumped in the inbox as Kai pointed out.  the
> other kind (read-receipt) has to be honored by client (Mail reader).
> I think Netscape, Simeon and Outlook are a couple that support these.
> I used Simeon in the past and it sent a really cute message that
> basically said 'the recipient has opened your message.  This does not
> imply that it was read or understood'.
>
> I've always found read receipt interesting.  I hate sending them, but
> I like knowing when someone reads (opens) my mail ... great double
> standard ;-)

> KG> wolfgang@prs.de (Wolfgang S. Kechel - Patzschke + Rasp Software
> KG> AG) writes:
> >> How can I gain control over the receipts that are send for a mail I
> >> read via nnimap?
>
> KG> I'm not sure what you're talking about.  So, John sends you mail
> KG> and requests a receipt, and when you read the mail, the receipt is
> KG> sent?  And you want the possibility to turn off this receipt
> KG> sending?
>
> KG> How does John request a receipt?  By adding a Return-Receipt-To
> KG> header?  The function of this header is specified in some RFC
> KG> (maybe 822), AFAIK, and the receipt is sent when the receiving MTA
> KG> drops the message into the mailbox.  That's before you ever get to
> KG> see it, so what can Gnus do about it?
>
> KG> kai -- A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
> KG> (BFBS Radio)

Indeed this is what I am speeling about!
Somebody activates the 'return-receipt' in the mail header (a read receipt),
and I want to have control over the receipt this is (or is not) sent back to
the sender who requested the receipt.
Netscape handles this just fine and I detected that it is sometimes convenient
to get informaed when a mail is read. Indeed, this is no garantee that the
mail has been read by the right recipient, but its a strong indicator!
I would like to have support to control the behavipur of pgnus/nnimap. Maybe
that it has to be added to pgnus or is already on. I detected this behaviour
since we have moved all our mail-accounts to a new IMAP server is is capable
of sending receipts (our old mail system was not able to do so).

Has anybody any further hints on how to proceed?

Wolfgang Kechel                          Phone: ++49-(0)6 11-17 31-611
Patzschke + Rasp Software AG                Fax: ++49-(0)6 11-17 31-31
Bierstadter Straße 7                     mailto:wolfgang.kechel@prs.de
D-65189 Wiesbaden                          Web Site: http://www.prs.de