Re: using the Gnus Agent together with nnimap

Christian Lynbech <chl@tbit.dk> writes:

> Has anybody experience in using nnimap together with the Gnus Agent?

Not very much, it hasn't received much testing so I'd love to hear
your feedback on this.

> My hunch is something in the manner of the following: nntp trusts the
> .newsrc numbers while nnimap trusts message flags in the underlying
> IMAP folders. If this is right, then either it should be possible to
> force nnimap to go by .newsrc contents or there should be some
> explicit synchronization of the IMAP folder at `J S' time.

You're absolutely right, and this explicit synchronization is done
with `J Y'.

Two things I'm aware of that doesn't work well using IMAP in
disconnected mode:

        * copying/moving articles between mailboxes
        * the unread count in the *Group* buffer is not always
                correct (this is documented, it's only a estimate,
                but it's quite annoying)

I haven't really come up with a good solution to theese problems that
doesn't require lots of changes, so they probably won't be added to
(supposedly stable) Gnus 5.8.x, hopefully someone come up with
something for the next beta series.

Whenever I get around to buying/using a laptop, disconnected imap
support will surely be added to gnus. :-)