Re: cvs access

Justin Sheehy <dworkin@ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> > It looks for all the world like anyone is supposed to be able to login
> > and try it out. Trying every login technique I could come up with
> > failed.
>
> Did you try using an IMAP client?  They are talking about testing
> IMAP, after all...

Simon answered this question with clear instructions and some
lisp code etc, back on Nov 13.  But thanks anyway.

> > Telnet, ssh ncftp all .. nada
>
> Right.  It isn't a publicly available ftp, telnet or ssh server, it is
> a publicly available IMAP server.
>
> > What kind of "login" is expected here?
>
> You should be able to give any IMAP client (including nnimap) the
> hostname cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu as the server name and be able to access
> the server.  A trivial example:
>
> $ nc cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu 143
> * OK mail1.andrew.cmu.edu Cyrus IMAP4 v1.6.18-034 server ready
> . login anonymous foo@bar.baz
> . OK Anonymous access granted
>
> -Justin, wondering what exactly you were expecting...

Well Justin,

Try to imagine a time before you knew details about what each and every
protocol on the internet was.  Lets say you've heard about something
but really know nothing of how it works.

You're interested in WebGlimpe and now it can archive mail in a
searchable way.  You see a web page that says "come aboard and try out
the webglimpse server".  Login as user anonymous and use webglimpse as
the password.  Would you immediately try to use a webglimpse client to
log in?

It does seem imminently clear now in hind site but didn't at the time.