Re: select method

John Saylor <john.saylor@cybertrust.gte.com> writes:

> And it has been put forth that everything would work faster if you
> changed a line in the `gnus-group-edit-group-method' window from
> this:
> (nnimap "imap_server_name"
> to this:
> (nnimap "nnimap:imap_server_name"

No. To "nnimap:imap_server_name".

The proper advice is to use the latest pGnus, the problem should be
solved in it. If you still have groups with "old" method fields, C-k
them, restart emacs/gnus and re-subscribe to them.

Don't edit your group parameter if you're not complete sure what
you're doing and why, as it may screw up your .newsrc.eld completely.

> Did I follow the thread correctly? And can Simon come down with any
> proclamation about which is better and why? [or maybe Simon doesn't
> want to proclaim anything]

If your nnimap server in `gnus-secondary-select-methods' differ from
the one found in your group parameters, Gnus will "create" one server
and open this server for each and every one of your groups. Things
should work, but it will be quite slow and you'll have lots of TCP/IP
connections to your server.

The main rule is to not remove (or change, even a subtle parameter) a
server in `gnus-secondary-select-methods' without removing all groups
belonging to that server.