Getting new emails

Can anyone tell me how I can get gnus/nnimap to automatically show new emails
as they arrive?  In Navigator, if I have it up and running all the time, it
will display new emails when they arrive in my mailbox.  With gnus/nnimap,
I have to hit M-g to get new emails.  It then takes me to the *Group*
window and asks me how many headers I want to see.  I always want to see them
all, so I hit OK and, after what seems like forever, they finally display.

Also, can gnus/nnimap cache the headers so it only reads the new ones (thereby
improving performance).

Thanks,
-d