Re: Typing in password multiple times AND ampersands in mailbox names

Jens-Ulrik Petersen <jens-ulrik.petersen@nokia.com> writes:

> I think "&" is used to escape utf7 encoding.  Since it sounds like
> you're not using utf7 encoding in the mailbox names, probably you're
> better off turning utf7 decode/encoding off with:

There's no way to "not using utf7 encoding in mailbox names", the IMAP
protocol mandates it. Unless some broken server doesn't implement UTF7
en/de-coding of mailbox names, but they can't call themself IMAP
servers then.

> [Simon, how about making this the default?  I guess not many people
> have UTF7 support in their emacsen yet, right?]

UTF7 support is included with nnimap. :-)

It only handles Latin-1 characters right now though.

The problem is whenever someone have non-latin-1 characters in there
mailbox names and try to use nnimap. They'll need to turn utf7
encoding off for things to "work" (they still wouldn't see very useful
mailbox names though). We can't handle that case properly until Emacs
have complete Unicode support, so I think that's the best we can do
for now.

I know there exist Unicode patches for Emacs. I don't know how hard it
would be to write a UTF7 library for it. I would be very greatful if
someone had the time to look into it.