Re: Typing in password multiple times AND ampersands in mailbox names

Jens-Ulrik Petersen <jens-ulrik.petersen@nokia.com> writes:

> Tim Wilson <tdw@symbionics.co.uk> writes:
>
> > My second question is: I am unable to make nnimap read any mailbox (aka
> > folder) that has an ampersand ('&') character in its name.
> > Renaming the mailbox (via Outlook/Exchange) to remove the ampersand
> > solves the problem.  Any suggestions?
> >
> > I use emacs 20.3.1 with the following setup in my .gnus:
>
> I think "&" is used to escape utf7 encoding.  Since it sounds like
> you're not using utf7 encoding in the mailbox names, probably you're
> better off turning utf7 decode/encoding off with:
>
>         (setq imap-utf7-p nil)

Actually I thought a little more about it.  The ampersand quoting
of utf7 seems to be peculiar to IMAP (browsing the "utf7.el" source
shows normally a "+").  In fact the quoting should only occur at the
beginning of a mailbox name I believe and since you're presumably
using it in the middle of a mailbox name like "apples & oranges" it
should affect you.

Could you send more information about the problem like a backtrace of
the error and output from the "*nnimap-debug*" buffer?

Jens