Re: complex splitting of mail

>> Tibor Simko <tibor.simko@cern.ch> writes:
>> [...] I don't think it is a good idea to use your `INBOX' as an
>> ordinary Gnus folder

> Kim-Minh Kaplan <kmkaplan@vocatex.fr> writes:
> Can you elaborate on this ?  I use my INBOX as my main Gnus folder
> and do not really have any trouble with this.

According to the info provided with nnimap, if you use splitting, it's
best to move everything out of your INBOX else whatever you leave
there will be checked against the split rules everytime you do a 'g'
in the *Group* buffer.  If you have lots of stuff in INBOX, this could
be a significant performance hit.  However, I'm not sure that hasn't
been changed in recent versions such that messages marked as Seen are
no longer so checked.  I notice this behavior when I have to use
netscape to read mail that is encrypted with S/MIME (until someone can
tell me how to do it with openSSL or something else :-) and so I
occasionally use Netscape to connect to the IMAP server.  I often look
at the stuff in my INBOX when I'm in netscape and I've found that when
I do that, those messages don't get split by nnimap when I later
connect with gnus.  However, since I set total expire on INBOX, they
do eventually get deleted so I'm not bothered by this.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730