Re: complex splitting of mail

    DC> However, I want the highest priority to be that mail sent
    DC> directly to me stay in the INBOX, even if it also to a mailing
    DC> list.

First, I don't think it is a good idea to use your `INBOX' as an
ordinary Gnus folder.  What about something like:

,--------
| (setq nnimap-split-inbox '("INBOX"))
| (setq nnimap-split-crosspost nil)
| (setq nnimap-split-rule
|   '(("personal" "\\(^To\\|^CC\\).*dcohen")
|     ("support" "\\(^To\\|^CC\\).*support@example.com")
|     ("foo" "\\(^To\\|^CC\\|^Resent-\\).*foo@bar.com")
`--------

You don't subscribe to `INBOX' in Gnus at all.  Your personal email
goes to the `personal' folder; you may name it `Inbox' if you wish.

    DC> That is, will mail to the 'support' alias stay in my inbox if
    DC> my address is on the To: line?

Yes.  The `nnimap-split-crosspost' variable is your friend.

-TS