Re: Marking messages as read...

Jody Klymak <jklymak@apl.washington.edu> writes:

> Hello Rupa,

>     RS> For the most part I use auto-expire for most email folders.
>     RS> When I read a message it is marked as "E".
>
>     RS> Unfortunately, marking as "E" doesn't also mark the message as
>     RS> read.  This means that when I use something else (like
>     RS> outlook) the messages all look like new.  This is "not nice".
>
> Are you sure about this?  All my messages are marked as read - i.e. in
> Outlook 98 I set "View-Current View-Unread Messages", I see no messages
> (because I am blissfully up to date on my email.

On further investigation, gnus is doing the *right* thing (why am I
not surprised) and outlook is not.  It seems that Outlook is
maintaining the state of read/unread internally somehow and not using
the \Seen flag.  At least, I can not find a \Seen flag on any message
that I've read with Outlook and if I mark a message as read by right
clicking on it the state is not pushed back to the imap store.

I'm running Outlook 98 at work and Outlook 2000 at home.

By your description, Outlook *is* working fine.  Are you using Outlook
Express or the full Outlook 98?

> However, If I set "View-Current View-Hide Messages Marked for Deletion",
> then I see *all* my messages for the past seven days (i.e. the ones that have
> not "expired" yet) plus any I have marked for follow-up.

arggh, yup, it works for you. :(

> BTW, I find nnimap wonderful and perfectly usable the way it is - I
> had trouble finding my Outlook icon to test all this.

Same here, I only use outlook when I need to read certain types of
HTML email (with logs of tables that W3 absolutely chokes on).  The
problem is that since outlook isn't honoring the \Seen flag (at least
for me) it becomes very hard to locate that one email I want to view.

--
Rupa (rupa@rupa.com for normal email)
Please don't email duplicate replies.