Re: Marking messages as read...

Hello Rupa,

    RS> For the most part I use auto-expire for most email folders.
    RS> When I read a message it is marked as "E".

    RS> Unfortunately, marking as "E" doesn't also mark the message as
    RS> read.  This means that when I use something else (like
    RS> outlook) the messages all look like new.  This is "not nice".

Are you sure about this?  All my messages are marked as read - i.e. in
Outlook 98 I set "View-Current View-Unread Messages", I see no messages
(because I am blissfully up to date on my email.

However, If I set "View-Current View-Hide Messages Marked for Deletion",
then I see *all* my messages for the past seven days (i.e. the ones that have
not "expired" yet) plus any I have marked for follow-up.

So what nnimap does not appear to have is a "marked for deletion"
equivalent.

The way Outlook appears to work is to mark messages that are read as
"read" and messages you delete as "deleted".  Then whenever the user
specifies it will "expunge" all the deleted messages ("Edit - Purge
Deleted Messages") from the server.  They stay on the server (and are
subject to "undeleting") until the user does this.

I'm betting that it is possible to put this "marked for deletion" mark
onto the IMAP server when the gnus user puts E beside a message.  This
would make nnimap behave much more like Outlook and Netscape
Messenger.

BTW, I find nnimap wonderful and perfectly usable the way it is - I
had trouble finding my Outlook icon to test all this.

Cheers,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak                         APL/School of Oceanography,
Doctoral Candidate                  University of Washington