Re: nnimap questions

>>>>> "hirsch" == hirsch  <hirsch@mathcs.emory.edu> writes:

hirsch> When reading news, articles that I've read should not show up
hirsch> the next time I read the newsgroup unless I explicitly mark
hirsch> them to stick around.  This sounds like what you called
hirsch> expiring.

hirsch> When reading mail, letters I have read should still be there
hirsch> the next time I read mail, unless I mark them for deletion and
hirsch> expunge them.  If I don't expunge then they should still be
hirsch> there, but be marked for deletion.  (This is the way all of my
hirsch> other imap clients work.)

hirsch> The first time I tried nnimap it acted like the way I want
hirsch> news to work and cleared out my mailbox.  Then next time I got
hirsch> it to not expunge, but I found that there was no way to delete
hirsch> them without expunging.

It doesn't actually clear out your mailbox.  On gnu.emacs.gnus I
asked...
>> Suppose I want to use gnus to act a little more like a mail reader
>> when it's reading mail: I want all articles to be, by default,
>> "persistent" or "ticked".  Nothing should ever disappear from the
>> summary except by, say, expiration (or some other form of explicit
>> deletion).

kai> Two choices.  One is to tell Gnus to also display those articles
kai> marked as read instead of hiding them.  Customize the group
kai> parameters (with `G c') and frob the `display' parameter to
kai> `all'.  (Please note that Gnus doesn't delete the articles marked
kai> as read, it only hides them.  Unless you're using total-expire,
kai> that is.)

kai> The other choice would be something like this:

kai> (defun tc-gnus-summary-mark-unread-as-ticked () "Intended to be
kai> used by `gnus-summary-mark-article-hook'."  (when (memq
kai> gnus-current-article gnus-newsgroup-unreads)
kai> (gnus-summary-mark-article gnus-current-article
kai> gnus-ticked-mark))) (setq gnus-mark-article-hook
kai> 'tc-gnus-summary-mark-unread-as-ticked)

kai> This means that reading a message ticks it rather than marking it
kai> as read.  This might be extended to do different things in
kai> different groups.

(Apologies for sc-auto-fill-region-p on the elisp)

I did the former ("diplay all") and gnus suddenly feels MUCH more like
a mail reader.

Tim