Re: nnimap questions

hirsch@mathcs.emory.edu writes:

> When reading news, articles that I've read should not show up the
> next time I read the newsgroup unless I explicitly mark them to
> stick around.  This sounds like what you called expiring.

No, that's not expiring.  That's just marking messages as read.  The
news server does the expiring whenever it feels like.  Usually, it
will expire (delete, that is) all articles older than 14 days, say,
whether you have read them or not.

For mail, Gnus never expires (deletes) a mail which you haven't even
looked at.  I think that makes sense.

> When reading mail, letters I have read should still be there the
> next time I read mail, unless I mark them for deletion and expunge
> them.  If I don't expunge then they should still be there, but be
> marked for deletion.  (This is the way all of my other imap clients
> work.)

This is also the way Gnus works, except:

  - Messages marked for deletion (use the key `E' and see the messages
    marked with `E') aren't deleted immediately, they are deleted
    after a period of 7 days.  (Configurable via the option
    nnmail-expiry-wait.)

  - Messages you have read (but not marked with `E') will be HIDDEN
    unless you explicitly request them.  (With the `see old articles'
    entry in the Group menu, for instance.)

> The first time I tried nnimap it acted like the way I want news to
> work and cleared out my mailbox.  Then next time I got it to not
> expunge, but I found that there was no way to delete them without
> expunging.

Hm?

> My imap server (don't know what it is, but I think it is whatever
> Sun ships with Solaris) seems to distinguish among new mail, unread
> mail, read mail, and deleted (but not yet expunged) mail.  So do my
> clients (ml, tkrat, Mahogany) Can nnimap do this?

Yes.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.