Re: nnimap questions

    Simon> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

    >> Kudos, Simon, for a job extremely well done.

    Simon> Thank you!

By the way, the patch you sent me for 0.126 (which will be a part of 0.127)
works like a charm.  The new NOV caching makes for incredible performance!
This backend is really top-notch!

    >> 2) Can messages be spooled between nnimap and other backends?  Both
    >>    ways?
    >> Using the regular pgnus commands for this?

    Simon> No, respooling in gnus doesn't work with nnimap.

Actually, copying/moving between backends is really what I was looking for.
I wanted to move messages out of my nnarchive folder and into an nnimap
folder.  The move command worked like a charm.

    Simon> You can simulate the effect of respooling articles from nnimap and
    Simon> other backends into nnimap by copying/moving the articles into
    Simon> your `nnimap-split-inbox' mailbox and mark them as unread, they
    Simon> will be splitted next time you fetch mail.

I don't change my split rules often and this would work fine as a workaround.

    Simon> There's no predefined way of respooling articles from nnimap into
    Simon> other backends. A IMAP mail source (which uses the IMAP server as
    Simon> a POP server) should be written, which would solve that problem.

    Simon> Respool querying is not solved by any of this though, which might
    Simon> be a nice feature to have.

Can you explain?  Why can't normal respooling work and what do you mean by an
"IMAP mail source" and "respool querying"?

    >> 3) Can outgoing mail message be automatically copied to my IMAP-based
    >>    "Sent
    >> Items" folder?

    Simon> This does NOT work

    Simon> (setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+truman:Sent\\ Items")

    Simon> but it should. The problem here being SPC in the mailbox name --
    Simon> using a nnimap group that doesn't contain SPC should be just fine.

    Simon> I've located the problem (`message-tokenize-header' should support
    Simon> escape characters) and will try to fix it.

Instead, I took someone's suggestion and defined something like

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((concat "nnimap+truman:Archive/"
                (format-time-string "%Y-%m" (current-time)))))

This automatically created an appropriate year-month group in the Archive
folder and works like a charm.  Something like this should probably be in the
manual or FAQ.

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com