Re: nnimap questions

hirsch@mathcs.emory.edu writes:

> > > 1) Can we delete mail messages?  How?
> > >
> > Sure. Expire them as normal and set nnimap-expunge-on-close for each
> > server.
> >
> > For example
> >        '(nnimap "tivoli"
> >           (nnimap-expunge-on-close always))
>
> Last time I checked this didn't really distinguish between read letters and
> deleted letters.  I want to delete letters only by choice, otherwise leave them
> on the server.  (Unlike news, where I want to not delete articles only if I
> choose so, and delete them after reading by default.)
>
> Is this the way nnimap works, now?

Uhm. Gnus/nnimap/imap never deletes anything unless told to do so.
Expiring (which is a Gnus concept) can be used to mark articles as
expired when you read them and have expired articles older than X days
to be marked as deleted on the server. Expunging (which is a IMAP
concept) is the process of actually removing articles marked as
deleted on the IMAP server.

Is this clearer, or did I just confuse everything now?  I'm not sure I
understood your question.