Re: Is imap+procmail possible?

Joshua R. Poulson <jrp@informix.com> writes:

> > What happens if a new message is inserted into an open IMAP folder?
> > Is the imap connection terminated by the imapd and then reopened by
> > the client?
>
> Typically. That's how it happens in Outlook Express, for example. When
> nnimap, however, I don't maintain connections very long anyway.

Depends on which IMAP server you are using and which mailbox folder
format you are using.

If using Cyrus then the IMAP client is notified of the new messages
assumming the folder is open (which I doubt nnimap notices).  (clients
are also notified of flag changes and expunges by other clients)

If using UW's imapd it depends on the mailbox format.  I think
standard mbox (unix style) format just causes the imapd to terminate.
Not very nice.  mbx is the prefered format (dunno if procmail groks
that) and does support concurrent access.

<ponder>

I think mbox will work as expected *if* you use the UW delivery
tools.  They may not come standard with the imapd but there is a imap
util collection on the same ftp server which has a delivery agent.  I
think that if you use that you'll be able to deliver messages using
procmail to mbox format folders and have the client notified correctly
(rather than having imapd terminate).

--
Rupa (rupa@rupa.com for normal email)
Please don't email duplicate replies.