Re: Is imap+procmail possible?

Vadim Gutnik <gutnik@mtl.mit.edu> writes:

> "Joshua R. Poulson" <jrp@informix.com> writes:
>
> > > Splitting with imap in gnus doesn't seem to be as powerfull as even
> > > nnmail-split-fancy, I'd like to split mail as it comes in rather than
> > > when I read it, and I don't want to run emacs continuously; so, I'd
> > > like to split with procmail. Is there any way to make imap play nice
> > > with procmail? Maybe I could add a header, and nnimap would just file
> > > the message into whatever group the magic header says to file it in?
> >
> > Short answer is "yes". I use procmail with imap. There's nothing special
> > about it.
>
> Perhaps I can ask for the longer answer, then. :) Procmail will dump
> the results into multiple mailboxes. Wouldn't imap be really unhappy
> if extra messages just started to appear in its various folders? How
> exactly did you configure things?

I just had procmail do what you say--plopping certain types of mail
into special folders, and then I subscribed to those folders in the
gnus group summary buffer.

The groups (folders) have names like:

           nnimap+klee:mail/nnimap-in

... where "klee" is described in my .gnus file like this:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
	  (cons
	   '(nnimap
	     "klee"
	       (nnimap-address "127.0.0.1")
	       (nnimap-server-port 1240)
	     )
	   gnus-secondary-select-methods))

... which is an ssh-forwarded local port to the remote IMAP port.

--
--Ed Cashin
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu