Re: Shared folders: flag handling?

>>>>> On 20 Jul 1999 16:36:29 +0200,
>>>>> johann  <Kai> (j) writes:

(I say, your name does wonders to my supercite ;-)

j> I'm sure a lot of you have also seen this problem.  (Or are we
j> the only people trying to use IMAP as a CSCW tool?)  How have you
j> dealt with it?  I'm interested in all kinds of opinions and
j> suggestions.  Maybe shared folders just aren't made for this kind
j> of thing?

Some might indeed argue that shared folders are not the best
solution for this type of thing.  However, we've been doing it for a
while on a number of shared folders and it seems to be going pretty
well.

Generally, we designate a BB owner that will make such decisions,
manually expiring messages as he/she sees fit.  In this respect, the
BB owner is like a list moderator.

In the case of our Help Desk, mail sent to the alias
assist@utdallas.edu is actually sent to two shared folders,
bb.assist and bb.assist.log.  When someone has entered a message
into our CallTrak system, the message in bb.assist is immediately
deleted by that operator.  If folks want to look up something later,
there's always bb.assist.log, which the owner cleans up on a monthly
basis.  Even though I don't work on the Help Desk, I like this
bb.assist.log because I can browse it periodically to get an idea of
what's going on.

Hope that helps.

Amos