mis-counting articles

I'm seeing the following behavior:

the *Group* buffer shows

  [ Tech-News -- 291 ]
        47: nnimap+aries:Mail/ding
       158: nnimap+aries:Mail/suncluster
        86: nnimap+aries:Mail/all-ambassador

when I enter Mail/ding, it prompt me for the # of articles, so I enter
47. After entering the group it shows all 47 articles are read.
The separator show {0(+47) more} articles.

If I fetch significantly more # of articles, I'm still unable to see
those (+47) articles that pgnus/nnimap thinks are unread.

Is this a known problem?  I remember running into this a few releases
ago when it got fixed and unfixed again.

-rajesh