Re: A little help from my friends

michel@digicool.com writes:

> 'Public Folders' has correctly been turned into Public-Folders, but
> 'Public Folders' has a bunch of IMAP folders below it.  How do I get
> gnus (or nnimap) to recognize the whole tree of folders?  If I go into
> the Group buffer and do 'A A' it spins forever, a 'C+G' shows that
> only the above boxes were fetched.

Hm, it shouldn't spin forever. Could you eval `(setq debug-on-quit)'
and try A A, C-g when it spin and mail me the backtrace?

> Looks nnimap supports it, as an (imap-mailbox-list) with no restraint
> does return the entire heirarchy.  Grrrr.  So Why Don't We Ditch Gnus And
> Write Our Own Front End To This Perfectly Good IMAP Library? (I know,
> I know, put my code where my mouth is) ;)

Because Gnus is 80.000 lines of code (nnimap is 3 Kloc, for
comparison) and you don't write that in one day. :-) I think it's much
easier to fix the problems in Gnus than to write something from
scratch, there's ALOT of good stuff in Gnus that I haven't seen
collected into one mail reader before.

OTOH, there is a project called Wanderlust which is a mail/news reader
written from scratch, with IMAP support, written in Elisp.  It lacked
lots of stuff I've been taking for granted with Gnus when I tried it
(note: several months ago) though.