Messages "checking mailbox foo" and "updating info for mailbox bar"

When I hit `g', I see messages "checking mailbox foo" for a number of
mailboxes, and then I see "updating info for mailbox bar" for a
different number of mailboxes.  The two sets seem to be disjoint
(though I'm not sure).

What is nnimap doing at those two times and which mailboxes does it
check and for which mailboxes does it update info?

The "checking" part seems to be quite a bit faster than the "updating
info" part.

Just curious,
kai
--