Re: A little help from my friends

Jochen_Hayek@ACM.org writes:

  >     KG> But if you are suggesting that nnimap:foo should contain a
  >     KG> superset of the messages in nnimap:foo.bar and
  >     KG> nnimap:foo.baz -- no, that's not it.
  >
  >     KG> Is there such a concept in IMAP?
  >
  > See above.
  >
  > And as I understand it, it's even worse in a sense: a folder name
  > can also be at the same time a hierarchy level (i.e. `directory
  > name') of other (sub)folders.

I think there is a misunderstanding, here.  Let's take newsgroups as
an example.  As I see it, the newsgroup hierarchy is a convenient
naming convention but nothing more.  That is, whether there are groups
`foo' and `foo.bar' or whether the groups are called `foo and `foobar'
implies no difference whatsoever to the user, except of course for the
different names.

As far as I can tell so far from my limited experience of IMAP, it
seems to behave the same.  That is, other than the names there is no
difference.

One possible behavior which IMAP could exhibit (but probably doesn't)
is that entering the `foo' group (folder) means you also see the
messages from the `foo.bar' group.

Is the hierarchy more than just a naming convention?

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [OK]  [Cancel]