Re: nnimap 0.98 - new articles auto-marked as read (!) (long)

Trung Tran-Duc <trung.tranduc@prague.ixos.cz> writes:

> After M-x gnus I see a list of subscribed groups. nnimap:mail.misc
> is marked with 1 new article (okay). I go to mail.misc and <Enter>,
> and get a message "No news unread", mail.misc is marked with 0 new
> articles. I enter the group again, this time I see the article but
> it's already marked as 'Old'.

I was able to repeat the symptoms.

This is what's happening: Gnus request the article header, nnimap is
unable to fetch it and Gnus regard the article as read and tell nnimap
to mark the article as read.¹

0.97 imap.el stored data in the global obarray if `imap-message-data'
for some reason was nil. In 0.98 it didn't and gave a warning message
(which just scroll past).

I've changed that `message' into a `error' now so nothing bad
happens. I'll release 0.99 in a minute and then start to find what's
causing `imap-message-data' to be null in the first place (which is
the real problem).

You might want to stay at 0.97 if 0.99 throws the error all the time.

> I think it has nothing to do with splitting mails.

Right, this is another bug.

[1]: Gnus wants to have non-existant articles marked as read. This
pecularity has bitten us before. If {nn}imap.el is bug free this is
not a problem.