Re: repeated logins and other questions

John Saylor <john.saylor@cybertrust.gte.com> writes:

> I have set up nnimap to offer me a view of several folders on IMAP
> servers. It seems that I need to present loging connections for each
> folder, essentially meaning that I log in multiple times with the same
> credentials. This is not too good.

This indicates that you've modified your
`gnus-secondary-select-method' after subscribing to the groups, I
think. The select method stored in the group info on the groups
doesn't match any of the methods in `gnus-secondary-select-method' and
a new connection is opened.

Either edit the group info (`G E`) or C-k the groups and subscribe to
them again (you might have to quit gnus between unsubsribing and
subscrbing, I think Gnus caches recent unsubscribes somehow).

This is something of a pain, I've had some patches to solve this
applied to Gnus but there are still situations when it remembers the
select method instead of the select methods name in the group info.

> Also, I respond positively when asked if I want to save the password
> for the session.

Each server connection require it's own password, so you would've to
answer it for each of your group...

> I also tried using ~/.authinfo but my login name has a \ in it. The
> string presented to the server doesn't get past the \. Does anyone
> know of any quoting mechanisms for this file?

I don't think so. The file was intended to remember FTP login and
password (I think) and it's not as flexible as one would want for
Gnus.

> And I'm using nnimap as the method to save archive messages to the
> server. If the mailbox I'm saving to is in a place that is different
> than the value of nnimap-list-pattern, do I need to specify this in
> gnus-message-archive-method?

`nnimap-list-pattern' only affects listing groups so it shouldn't be
necessery, I think.

> And how do I turn off creating *imap-log*- since it leaves my password
> in the clear?

(setq imap-log nil)

> I have reviewed the documentation and have been unable to find my
> answers. If I just missed something feel free to send a pointer.

I'm going to update the doc soon, I'll save your questions 'til
then. Thanks.