repeated logins and other questions

Hi

I have set up nnimap to offer me a view of several folders on IMAP
servers. It seems that I need to present loging connections for each
folder, essentially meaning that I log in multiple times with the same
credentials. This is not too good.

Also, I respond positively when asked if I want to save the password
for the session.

What am I doing wrong?

I also tried using ~/.authinfo but my login name has a \ in it. The
string presented to the server doesn't get past the \. Does anyone
know of any quoting mechanisms for this file?

And I'm using nnimap as the method to save archive messages to the
server. If the mailbox I'm saving to is in a place that is different
than the value of nnimap-list-pattern, do I need to specify this in
gnus-message-archive-method?

And how do I turn off creating *imap-log*- since it leaves my password
in the clear?

I have reviewed the documentation and have been unable to find my
answers. If I just missed something feel free to send a pointer.

--
\js