Re: UW imap c-client

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> The main bottleneck in nnimap/gnus right now is imho that it takes a
> long time to check for new mail. No other imap clients I've tested
> does this at all, so perhaps we can make that part optional. (It can
> also be made faster by using a different strategy).

This may have nothing to do with the speed issue you're talking about,
but it's something that's been bothering me for a while... when
nnimap-group-list-speed is 'slow, nnimap estimates the number of
messages by using oldest and newest UID, entering and exiting each
group to do it.  Would it involve too many changes to GNUS to just use
the results of a STATUS command on a mailbox?  For instance,

STATUS INBOX (MESSAGES UNSEEN)

spits back

* STATUS INBOX (MESSAGES 36 UNSEEN 0)

regardless of which mailbox (if any) is currently SELECTed.  It seems
to me that the UNSEEN count is exactly the number one would want to
appear in a summary line, should be faster than SELECTing each group
in turn, more accurate than subtracting UIDs, and not rely on locally
cached info in .newsrc.eld (always a plus in an IMAP client).

My apologies if this is old ground.

--
Pete Boettcher
boettcher@cmu.edu