Re: nnimap article editing revisited

Steinar Bang writes:

> Simon Josefsson writes:
>
> > IMHO Gnus should not modify the mail to achieve this -- "fixing"
> > articles should be at the display level.  Also, if we do this stuff at
> > the display level at will be more general, ie it would work with nntp,
> > nnmh etc.
>
> Far from all fixing can be done at the display level.
>
> Much of it has to be done interactively and some of it (eg. fixing a
> non-standard forward from pine) can only be done by actually editing
> the message.
>
> How do you fix the mapping of application/octet-stream to the MIME
> type it actually is?  How would you handle rethreading?

There may be a way to solve this without actually modifying the mail.
It would just require Gnus to remember the modifications (à la diff)
that has been done on the original message.  Then after any
request-article it will have to apply the modifications (à la patch)
before continuing the normal process.  This modification would be
stored in .newsrc.eld.

The weakness I see is that other MUAs will not see the modifications.
Even other Gnus running on other hosts will not see them.

Does this make sense ?

> [...] As long as I'm using the UoW server I can always telnet into
> the server and do an "emacs -nw" on the mail folder to fix the
> impossible ones.
>
> But I would like especially rethreading and MIME type changes to be
> as _convenient_ as possible. :-)

Here we have Netscape and Cyrus, so we don't have this opportunity,
and MIME types and rethreading are also the reasons I want article
editing !

May be we should move this thread to the ding mailing list ?

Kim-Minh.