Re: topics & tomorrow

Vadim Gutnik <gutnik@mtl.mit.edu> writes:
> Simon writes:
> > Topics, sub-topics etc could reflect the server-side hiarchy of IMAP
> > mailboxes. Instead of subscribing to IMAP mailboxes in gnus, one would
> > subscribe to a IMAP server which contain several mailboxes, controlled
> > by the backend (ie the topic only contains imap-subscribed mailboxes,
> > and imap-subcribing to new mailboxes is done in the *server buffer*).
>
> Oh, yuck. Ok, this I don't think I like. Topics should be completely
> arbitrary and controlled independently of what the server wants.
>
> So I should be able to have
>
> <gnus>
>   <misc>
>     nnimap:group_1
>     nntp:group_2
>   <other>
>     nnimap:group_3
>     nnml:group_4
>
> etc.

I agree.  Topics should remain as they are: User-defined, content
based organization, with no relation to server/backend organization.
I use IMAP exclusively for both mail and news, and want to be able to
treat IMAP mailboxes just like newsgroups, since that's what they are.
I need to be able to subscribe to 30-40 mailboxes out of an available
25000, just like it works now, except it would be nice to use
_exclusively_ imap subscriptions, and have GNUS get it's subscription
information from LSUB.

--
Pete Boettcher
boettcher@cmu.edu