Re: problem making new groups?

radford@robby.caltech.edu (Jim Radford) writes:
> > It's a known bug, nnimap doesn't detect if there are new groups on the
> > server because it can't tell. I added this to the 'known-bugs' page.
> >
> > It's being fixed in the re-written nnimap by using a local file to
> > store the name of subscribed mailboxes and compare it to what's on the
> > server when it connects.

What do subscribed mailboxes have to do with new mailboxes?  There are
always mailboxes on the server which are NOT subscribed, but which are
not new.

> Simon, have you considered using IMAP's [UN]SUBSCRIBE for this?  I know
> that the UWash server just puts the list in a local file,  but it seems
> more "the IMAP way" to centralize this on the server.  That way nnimap
> can resonstruct its whole state from the server.

I use LSUB as the list method, since I am occasionally forces to use
other IMAP clients.  My environment has many, many, public IMAP
mailboxes (>10000, I'm sure), and IMAP subscriptions are the way to
go.  Pine, for instance, honors them.  I am able to use the functions
in imap.el for subscribing, when I know the name of the mailbox to
subscribe to.

M-: RET (imap-folder-subscribe "INBOX.foo" nnimap-server-buffer) RET

Kinda clunky, but it works.  Simon, how about a simple command wrapper
for this, until you/we/I figure out how to integrate this better into
the GNUS frontend?

(defun nnimap-folder-subscribe nil
  (interactive)
  (if
    (imap-folder-subscribe
      (read-string "Name of IMAP folder to subscribe: ")
      nnimap-server-buffer)
    (message "Successful")
      (message "Failed")))

--