Lotus Notes IMAP server? Cooperate with Gnus?

Hi all,

please excuse if this is the wrong forum.  I've got a friend who used
to use Gnus to read his mail and he was very happy.  Now he's forced
to switch to Lotus Notes for reading mail.  He's getting mad fast...

* Is there an IMAP server in Lotus Notes?
* Can it cooperate with gnus-imap?
* Will this break anything?

I told him, just tell the Notes admins to tell Notes to be an IMAP
server.  He tells me, Notes doesn't store mail, it stores relations,
and taking the mail out of Notes destroys the relations.  Hm.
Methinks maybe there is a possibility to manipulate that part of the
relations which pretends to be email via IMAP?

tia,
kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.