Re: Problems with latest imap stuff

>> With the 300 messages I get a day in my mail boxes, reading it
>> interactively over IMAP is simply not feasible...

Simon> Please elaborate. I get 500-1000 messages a day and I don't
Simon> have any serious problems -- the nnimap active-info generation
Simon> when I press `g' takes ~15s which is a pain but it's not that
Simon> serious.

I have 2 issues:

1) I work on an ISDN line that gets charged a per minute uptime from
   8am-5pm.  Therefore, I read my news/mail offline to reduce the
   charges.

2) "waiting" for articles to download from the imap (or other) server,
   even over an ISDN line, takes a few seconds.   Lets say "1" second,
   for purposes of discussion.  If I have 300 new messages a day, I'm
   wasting 300 seconds a day "waiting", or 5 minutes.  I'd rather type
   "J s" (fetch articles from the backends into the gnus agent) and do
   something else during that time (the 5 minutes it'll take to
   download the articles in question), since I've effectively combined
   the total "waiting" time into one lumped sum.

   Practically speaking, I know it actually slows me down by more than
   5 minutes...

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."