Re: Reading from two places

>>>>> Simon wrote:

Simon> There are two solutions to this:

Simon> 1) Re-enable nnimap-request-update-info. This way Gnus will have
Simon>    correct group info to play with and will calculate the unread
Simon>    number (more) correctly. Problem: it's =slow=.

Simon> 2) Have Gnus ask the backend how many unread articles there is in a
Simon>    mailbox instead of calculating it by itself. IMAP knows this, but
Simon>    it can't tell Gnus because it doesn't ask for this information.

Simon> If you can live with the speed penalty of 1 you can put this in your
Simon> .gnus:

As I see it you can't avoid it because you are going to do it anyway
manually which is worse. OK. If there are unread articles in the
folder you don't waste any time.

Considering the speed penalty of 1 maybe we could get 2 somehow. A new
patch to gnus!?

I could accept a hack. I have observed that when there are no articles
gnus correctly!? prompts how many articles I want to read. (If more
than gnus-large-newsgroup.) So at that time it knows there are no
unread articles. Right? A hack would be to silently reject entering
the folder and updateing the unread article count.

Well... there might be other bright ideas to.

Yours
--
%% Mats