Re: Speed of Startup

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> When I start Outlook is comes up almost instantaneously with a
> display of all my folders and a count of unread messages in each
> mailbox.  Doesn't Outlook have to follow the same IMAP protocol as
> does nnimap?  If so, how can it do it soooo much faster?  Granted we
> are in beta, but given what I am slowly learning about what nnimap
> has to go through to query the IMAP server, can we ever expect to
> attain that kind of startup speed?

Yes.

Right now nnimap does many things inefficiently, and I think we can
adress most of them. Some will require changes in Gnus though.

I think it will take some time before performance becomes the number
one priority, right now I'm concerned with getting it to work properly
and there are many things left to do until I'm satisfied with
this. I've been busy at work so there hasn't been much
nnimap-development lately but things will get better. :-)

Disabling tracing/debugging will speed up things though.