Re: nnimap 0.3.24

On 21 Aug 1998 19:07:04 +0200 Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> wrote:

> I'm not sure what the gains of opening one connection for each mailbox
> which seem to be a common practice are, but opening additional
> connections to the server for big article fetch(es) or a big header
> fetches will be very useful -- if the user interrupts a big fetch,
> nnimap will be able to continue to operate without waiting for the big
> fetch to finish.

Don't Do That.

There is no guarantee that an IMAP server can support concurrent read/write
access to a folder to more than one session. UW IMAP running the standard mbox
format folders is one  that cannot handle this.  When you open the second connection you run
the risk of the first conenection being downgraded to read-only status, or even terminated
altogether.

If you need to support a user interrupt capability, bring the data down in
chunks. The protocol specifically provides support for that. If the user hits
"STOP" then terminate the download at the next chunk boundary.

--lyndon