Re: faster new mail check

> >Nnimap shouldn't do UID FETCH 1,* (UID) fetches at all (and we're
> >trying to come up with a solution to this) so I think I'll wait until
> >I apply your patch.
> >Can't you use nnimap-list-pattern to limit the number of uninteresting
> >groups instead?

> Well, I'm interested in all of them.  I want to know when new messages
> arrive in any of these groups, but it takes >30 seconds to select and
> fetch in each one.

If you are interested in all of them then you have to wait while it
checks for new messages, except....

  o You could switch to using STATUS and not SELECT/FETCH.  This is is
    already an option if you use nnimap-group-list-speed set to
    'medium.  Note that the only negative thing about doing this is
    that the lowest article number is assumed to be 1.  The max is
    correct.  This should be faster.

  o If you mean that is slow for background "do I have mail checks"
    then maybe in that case we could do them slowly so your machine
    doesn't lock up, since you don't need an immediate response.

> >The message counts aren't stored between Gnus sessions, so this is
> >hard to do. Gnus need the min/max values every time it starts.

> What i was hoping for was to have gnus select and fetch all the groups
> when it starts, but only the marked ones after that (or rather only
> those without \Unmarked).

This is not a bad idea, I had forgotten about the \Marked tag.  I'll
check into this.  Until then, please try the above and see if it make
any appreciable difference.