Re: feature request: caching

Mark Moll <mmoll@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> One way to improve the performance of nnimap is to have a local cache of
> mail folder information. This cache could contain:
>
> 1. .overview type of information
> 2. whole articles (possibly compressed; reading compressed articles from
>    local disk is probably still faster than fetching the article from the
>    server)
> 3. a combination of 1. and 2.
>
> Ideally, what is cached and how much can be specified by the user. Any
> comments?

I think 1 would improve the situation the most, it should be
implemented. Consistency of data is of course the problem, it's
probably somewhat tricky to do this correct.

I think we can handle most problems 2 tries to solve if we implement
asynchronous fetching -- we could even try to make the asynchronous
fetching do some clever stuff, instead of just fetching the next N
articles. It's on the todo-list.

2 wouldn't be that hard to implement, I think, so perhaps it would be
a nice complement. Hmm. The more I think about it, the more I like
it. I'm adding it to the todo list.

/s