Re: Server Buffer Browse Problems

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> Although I specify my nnimap server using the secondary-select-methods, I
> subscribe to specific folders using the server browse buffer.

The server buffer is really a unfriendly way of doing things. Also,
when you select a server in the server buffer, you are really doing a
'Browse foreign server'.

Perhaps you will get better answers in gnu.emacs.gnus.

> 1) All folders, even those to which I have subscribed are listed with a
>    preceding "K".  Doesn't this imply "unsubscribed"?

It's just a hard coded character. All groups have it.

It's probably supposed to mean "unsubscribed" but it doesn't really
check wheter it's subscribed or not.

> 2) I use the 'u' command to subscribe to specific folders.  Shouldn't I be
>    able to press 'u' again to unsubscribe?

The 'browse foreign server' only does subscribing, you unsubscribe to
groups in the group buffer.

> 3) If I have parent and children folders (i.e., subfolders) do I want/need to
>    subscribe to the parent?

Only if you want to read articles in the parent. It's not required to
subscribe to a parent to read it's subfolders.

Often the parent doesn't contain any articles but only subfolders, if
this is the case there is no point in subscribing to the parent.

>   Can we split some messages into the parent and other into
>   subfolders or only use one or the other?

You should be able to split articles wherever you want (restricted by
access permissions on the server, of course).

/s