Re: How's the offline support?

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I am about to work at switching to imap (most likely) and have
> wondered how the offline work is integrated into the nnimap backend?

I've now looked into this some more, and there are one major issue:

* Flags

	All articles that the Agent fetches will be marked as read on
	the IMAP server. If you intend to read all downloaded
	articles, or doesn't care about the SEEN flags on the ones you
	don't, you can try the Agent stuff right now.

I think we need to re-design things to get this to work -- right now
nnimap-request-article fetches the article in a way that set the SEEN
mark on the article, and depend on Gnus to propagate this into the
group-info (nnimap-request-update-info would do it if Gnus didn't).

And one minor issue. It's already on the todo-list, it might get some
attention now.

* UIDVALIDITY

	nnimap doesn't do anything about UIDVALIDITY changes right
	now. The easiest solution to this is to store uidvalidity in
	gnus-info-params, and check it when we SELECT a mailbox. If it
	has changed, nnimap should regard the mailbox as non-existant
	(I'm not sure if it's possible to cleanly re-build the state
	of the group in Gnus and all other packages, at least this
	will be harder) and the users has to unsubscribe/subscribe to
	the group for things to work.

	Fix in 0.3.18, I think.

/s